I don’t know if there is anything more delectable than the perfect roast chicken. I find that a great side for roasted chicken is roasted sweet potatoes and red onions.
- 1 whole organic free range chicken
- 2 large garnet sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp. of thyme
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 6 tbsp. Olive or coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Toss minced Garlic, Thyme, shallots, and lemon zest in bowl with 6 Tbsp. olive or coconut oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss thickly sliced sweet potatoes and sliced red onions in mixture and place in roasting pan, saving the rest of the mixture for the chicken
- Place chicken in bowl and use your hands to massage and rub that chicken with the delicious garlic lemon concoction (inside and out, this is very intimate), then breast side up, place on top of vegetables. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of chicken thigh registers 165°, 35–40 minutes. (You can also check doneness by cutting into thigh meat right at the joint. If the juices run clear, the bird is ready.) Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with pan juices for spooning over and lemon wedges.
*Roasting Tip: I always make an extra batch of ghee, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper, and brush the bird with it every 10-15 minutes or at least three times during cooking. It gives it the extra flavor for that crisp outer skin. Yum!