When you get stressed out your body produces a hormone known as cortisol. This increases bodyfat storage if it’s not controlled. Most people are stressed out all day long which means their cortisol levels are always high. That leads to an increase in bodyfat even if your diet and training are perfect.
So make sure to take the time for stress management every single day. It HAS to be built into your routine the same way that brushing your teeth or eating is. It’s that important.
In the hierarchy of fat loss stress management may actually be the single most important factor.
Here are some good ways to manage your stress:
● Keep a gratitude journal
● Get a pet
● Learn to say no
● Don’t feel the need to reply to every text, email, phone call, tweet or comment you receive
● Cut out the negative people in your life
● Get rid of your to-do list
● Spend more time outside
● Make time for laughter every day
● Schedule more fun stuff with friends
● Stop watching the evening news
● Listen to relaxing music
● Get regular massages
● Take yoga
● Stress management is an essential key to fat loss.
11) Get Enough Sleep
When you’re short on sleep your insulin sensitivity decreases and your cortisol goes up. Both things lead to less than optimal fat loss. In fact, sleep deprivation can actually lead to fat gain.
You also miss out on the critically important Growth Hormone boost that comes each night during deep sleep. If you want to lose more fat you have to get more sleep. Most people will ignore this and some of you are probably reading this at 2am.
Unfortunately this just might be the most important thing on the whole list.
Some tips to improve your sleep are:
● Get outside in natural light for 15-30 minutes first thing in the morning.
● Work out earlier in the day.
● Don’t have caffeine after 12pm.
● Turn the lights down in your house after dark.
● Don’t look at phone or computer screens two hours before bed.
● Remove electronics from the bedroom.
● Use the bed only for sleep and sex.
● Make your bedroom as dark as possible.
● Invest in a really good bed. You spend 1/3 of your life in bed. So it’s worth investing in the best bed you can afford.
● Keep the bedroom cool. 68 degrees seems to be about right for most people.
● More sleep improves EVERYTHING. Make it a priority.
12) Stick to the Plan
In the age of information overload the biggest roadblock to fat loss is program ADD. One week you’re doing high fat, the next week you’re doing high carbs, then no cardio, followed by cardio every day, and on and on.
Fat loss is a simple science. There is a proven path that works. You just have to stick with it long enough to see results. The most you can lose is about two pounds of fat per week. Unless you’re over 300 pounds. In that case you’ll lose more. If you’re leaner you’ll be able to lose less. Nothing you can do will change that. It’s human physiology.
Bodybuilders and field athletes are the leanest people on earth. What do they do each week:
● Eat protein, vegetables, fruit and starch every day
● Never go too low on carbs
● Strength train 3-4 times
● Sprint or do some kind of high intensity interval training 1-3 times
● Expend more calories than they consume
● Manage stress
The last thing I’d add is to simply walk more. Get a FitBit or use the Health app on your iPhone and shoot for 10,000 steps per day.
Don’t sit when you can stand, and build movement into your daily routine. A sedentary life equals death.
It’s a simple plan, easy to follow, and it works. Forget the quick fixes and make it a lifestyle.
If you liked this post could you do me a huge favor and share it with others who might get something out of it as well? Thank you!