The Max Strict Push Up Test is used as the foundation of almost all military physical exams as well as loads of sports and therapeutic testing. This is a true basis of how well you can hold your own bodyweight and how much control you have over your body.
When you are performing Push Ups, you are really trying to keep in full balance, utilizing your entire body. Before you try to take on this challenge, here are the rules as well as how to perform a strict Push Up.
How to Do a Strict Push Up
- Begin in the Plank position with your arms straight and your hands under the shoulders with your core engaged and held tight.
- Keep your feet together (or as close as you can).
- The arms should be rotated so that the crease of the elbow faces forward.
- Keep the back straight and lower the torso to within about 2-4 inches of the ground (about the size of a clenched fist) while keeping the elbows close to the body.
- Extend at the elbows to return to the original position while maintaining a plank position throughout the entire movement.
The 2-Minute Max Strict Push Up Test
- Begin in the starting position of the Strict Push Up.
- Start the timer before the first rep (it would be best to have a partner start/stop the timer and count the reps).
- For a rep to count, you must go all the way down to within 2-4 inches of the ground and lock the elbows at the top.
- You can stop and rest any time during the 2 minutes, but only completely Strict Push Ups count towards your reps.
- Stop counting when the 2 minutes have elapsed.
How to Prepare for the Strict Push Up Test
- Begin by performing 5 sets of 10 Push Ups at least 4 times a week if you are a beginner, and 20 Push Ups if you are intermediate/advanced.
- At the end of the first week, perform the 2-Minute Max Strict Push Up Test.
- After the first week, begin performing the Push Up Test instead of the reps (start by substituting one of the rep days with a test day).
- The goal should be to perform the Push Up Test at least 3 times a week, while doing at least 5 sets of 20 Push Ups on the other days.
- 100 Push Ups goal in 2 minutes should be your goal (this is a standard for elite soldiers).
Anthony Eisenhower has over 20 years of experience studying, practicing and teaching martial arts including Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Coju-jitsu, Capoeira, Kenpo Karate, Gung Fu, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and Pankration. Anthony holds Blackbelts in Coju-jitsu, Tae Kwon Do as well as Muay Thai Level 2 Khru. Anthony studied gymnastics at L.A. Valley College and dance at Loyola Marymount University with the purpose of increasing flexibility and endurance for competition. He competed in full contact Kickboxing, Pankration and MMA. Anthony also performs stunt and fight choreography for music videos, commercials and various film and television projects; past projects include Alias, Birds of Prey, Dark Angel and Power Rangers in Space. Anthony is also the creator of the Brood 9 Stunt System, which is one of the few Stunt Certification classes taught for Physical stunt work. He has a DVD with the basics of this program through My Mad Methods Productions, and is a contributor to the My Mad Methods Magazine as well as other Fitness and MMA forums.
Keep-It™ Money Back Guarantee
We’ve taken the tricks out of the Money Back Guarantee. Most companies push out mediocre products and rely on the fact that dissatisfied customers are too busy to go through the hassle of returning the product to qualify for their money back. We’re confident you’ll love your Onnit supplements, and we’re not gonna play games with you.
Order any of our entry size supplements, and if you don’t like it, you can keep it. Notify us and we’ll give you a full refund right there on the spot. No complicated intake forms and no return necessary. We trust you, but to protect against fraud, the Keep-It™ guarantee is valid only for first time purchases of a product, and redeemable up to three months after purchase.
Multiple bottles, foods, apparel and gear are subject to our basic, no stress money back guarantee. Fitness equipment, personal care products, knowledge purchases, and DVDs are not eligible. For more information and a full list of products that qualify, visit our Keep-It™
page. To process a refund, visit our support page
In thanks to our military service men and women, we're extending a 15% discount on all products purchased at Onnit.com.
Anyone shipping their order to an APO/FPO/DPO address will have a 15% discount automatically applied to their order.
In order to validate your account, please either send an email from your .mil email address or send in a snapshot of your military ID to our customer service help desk
. Blacking out rank and or post is acceptable. In either case, please include the civilian email address or whichever email address you have registered with Onnit.com somewhere in the message body so we know which account to verify. Please setup an account with Onnit.com prior to submitting your request.
* US Military members, please choose United States as your destination country when creating your customer profile, as this will ensure your package ships via USPS and that you are not given international shipping rates.