We’re not scared of gluten, but an allergy to wheat or intolerance to this wheat protein can prevent some from enjoying delicious foods like sprouted grain bread and whole wheat pasta. Luckily, there are plenty of gluten-free whole foods that create similar flavor profiles. This mediterranean gluten-free flatbread is full of nutrients, healthy fats, and fiber. Check out the health benefits of the ingredients we used for this perfect midday snack or appetizer:
Almond flour: Almond flour, also known as almond meal, is made from blanched almonds ground to a fine flour.
● Low in carbs
● High in fiber
Arrowroot powder: is a natural powdered root starch.
● Used as a thickening agent
Tapioca: Tapioca flour, also known as tapioca starch, is a starchy flour made from the starch extracted from cassava plant.
● Helps bind gluten-free recipes and improves the texture of baked goods
● Adds crispness to crusts and chew to baked goods
● Great thickener in sauces, pies and soups
Flax Meal, a.k.a. Ground flax seeds
● Great source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans and fiber. Flax contains 75 to 80 times more lignans than other plant foods.
● High in soluble and insoluble fiber.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: olive oil is considered “extra virgin” when it has been produced by a simple pressing of the olives. Other grades like “olive oil” are usually produced using chemicals and other processes to extract the oil from the olives. Second, extra virgin must meet certain laboratory tests on things like acidity and levels of peroxide.
● Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) = heart healthy fats, abundant in the Mediterranean Diet
Mediterranean Gluten-Free Flatbread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Difficulty: Easy (if you’re not JP Sears)
Gluten-Free Flatbread Ingredients
● 1 pack Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix*
● 2 eggs, pasture raised**
● 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (plus 2 tbsp. for brushing)
● 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
● 2 tbsp. water
Ingredients (for the olive paste)
● 1 cup black olives, pitted
● 4 garlic cloves, peeled
● ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
● ½ tsp. black pepper
● 1 tbsp. fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
● 1 tbsp. fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried oregano
● Juice from ½ lemon
● 3 anchovies, optional
● Pinch of Himalayan salt
Additional Topping Ingredients
● ½ cup fresh crumbled feta cheese
● ¼ sweet onion, finely sliced
● Bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
● Lemon wedge, garnish
● 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, drizzle
*You can use your favorite gluten-free flour of choice here, but we can’t say it will result in the same taste and texture. If using a different flour, don’t forget to include baking soda and an activator like cream of tartar or yogurt.
**We love using Vital Farm’s pasture-raised eggs.
Gluten-free Flatbread Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, add the eggs, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, water, and Artisan bread mix. Stir until combined, then let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
3. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease with olive oil. Add the dough to the pan and flatten into about ½ “ thick using your hands or a rolling pin. You might need to lather your hands with oil or water to prevent sticking. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the olive paste. Place all ingredients into the food processor (make sure the olives are pitted first), and pulse until a smooth paste forms. You might need to scrape the sides in between.
5. Remove the flatbread from the oven. Spread the olive paste on top, then sprinkle the feta cheese on top. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven. Garnish with fresh parsley, onion slices, a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and lemon wedges. Great for a snack or appetizer.
7. Add a little extra protein like shredded chicken or roasted vegetables on top for a complete meal!