There’s one time per month when the struggle is very real. Ladies, you all know when I’m talking about. During pre-menstruation, many of us experience cramping, nausea, bloating, [extra] emotions, lethargy, the list goes on. After 10 years of enjoying this monthly hell, I set out to create a smoothie solution to be equipped to function closer to a normal human being. The Ultimate PMS Smoothie will get you back on your feet in no time! I recommend you make this shake as a meal replacement for breakfast as it contains caffeine and methylated B12.
I’m a big fan of a morning scramble, but there’s something about consuming eggs during my period that doesn’t sit well with my tummy. Shakes are easier on digestion. This one contains fiber, protein, and healthy fats to keep you satiated along with key foods that are rich in certain minerals to help you get on with your bad self. Men, don’t worry, you can enjoy this yummy concoction too.
Each ingredient has a specific purpose geared toward alleviating those not-so-pleasant symptoms we are graced with every 28 days (if we’re lucky):
● Collagen protein: I love collagen because it’s easily digested. Some people are sensitive to whey and casein protein, so this type of protein is a great alternative.
● Hemp protein: This plant-based protein delivers healthy Omega-3 fatty acids and dietary fiber, which will help you to feel satisfied but not overly full.
● Cacao powder: Not to be confused with cocoa powder, cacao is the the unprocessed component of chocolate we all love and crave. It’s also one of the highest dietary sources of an extremely important mineral, magnesium. The reason chocolate cravings are a common symptom of PMS due to a potential dip in magnesium levels beginning in ovulation and continuing to decrease significantly into the luteal phase. Research has shown that supplementing with magnesium alone and magnesium along with vitamin B6 significantly decreases the severity of PMS symptoms.
● Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee: Lion’s Mane is an herb that has shown to help with concentration and focus. Coffee for caffeine. Rhodiola is an adaptogen. Chaga mushroom has shown to aid in the strength of the immune system.
● Coconut butter: Instead of feeding that fast-food cheeseburger craving, fill your body with healthy fats. Coconut butter is slightly sweet and contains a good dose of fat that will satisfy fatty cravings without the guilt in the aftermath.
● Trilogy Walnut Almond Cashew Butter (WAC butter): You get more nutrients from nut butters made from raw, organic nuts. This blend of nuts provides monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats plus an array of minerals. This adds extra creaminess to the smoothie and satiation.
● Maca powder: Maca is a root that has been used for centuries for its healing properties. Most notably, maca is ideal for balancing hormones, which is quite necessary for the fluctuating emotional roller coaster ride we’re on.
● Himalayan salt: Containing up to 84 trace minerals, Himalayan salt is fantastic for mineral balance, and it also helps to bring out the flavor of the other ingredients.
THE ULTIMATE PMS SMOOTHIE
Prep time: 5 minutes
● 1 banana, frozen
● 1 tbsp. Walnut Almond Cashew butter
● 1 tbsp. coconut butter
● ½ tbsp. maca powder
● ½ tbsp. cacao powder
● 1 packet Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee with Lion’s Mane & Chaga
● 1 scoop collagen, or protein powder of choice
● 1 scoop Powerfood Active
● Pinch of Himalayan salt
● 2 capsules Shroom Tech Sport, emptied
● 12 oz. unsweetened coconut milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Pulse until smooth. Enjoy the morning of your special day, or simply whenever you need a satiating, mellow, mood-enhancing pick-me-up! Top with cacao nibs and toasted, unsweetened coconut flakes, if desired or simply for Instagram-worthiness.