We designed this protein shake recipe featured at the Onnit Cafe & Smoothie Bar with one thing in mind: summertime. These tropical flavors will take your taste buds to a beach far far away. The moment you sip this drink, you may feel a crisp salty breeze, and it’s common to even think about throwing a little rum in there (no comment).
However you choose to enjoy, this is the perfect summertime shake to make as a breakfast replacement, mid-meal snack, or post-workout refuel. Here are some of the health benefits to one of our crowd favorites, the “Tropical Thunder”:
● Alpha BRAIN® Don’t we all want to start our day with better mental performance? I know I do. Two double blind clinical trials for Alpha BRAIN® conducted by the Boston Center for Memory showed improvements vs placebo in memory, brainwave patterns, and focus.†
● MCT Oil: Fats like these are important to support a healthy brain and multiple body systems. They play a particularly valuable role in weight management because of a positive effect on leptin receptors, assisting in keeping you feeling full and satisfied for hours.†
● Grass-fed Whey Isolate: We consume what our food consumes, so when you’re looking for a high-quality whey protein, which is derived from cow’s milk, always go for grass fed. Another tip, protein isolates generally contain more protein, less lactose and less processing than protein concentrates.
● Frozen fruit: always go for fresh or frozen fruit over fruit juice when possible in order to reap the fiber, phytochemicals and vitamins the fruit has to offer. Frozen fruit is usually picked in season, so it’s sweet and does maintain the nutrient profile.
● Oats: One of the best sources of soluble fiber, improving the health of your digestive system.
● Maca powder: This is a wonderful addition to smoothies as it is a natural hormone balancer and energy booster.
● Himalayan salt and pure coconut water: The best form of re-hydration post-workout, due to it’s high electrolyte and mineral content.
Prep time: 5 minutes
PROTEIN SHAKE RECIPE INGREDIENTS
● 1 scoop grass-fed whey protein isolate*
● 1 Alpha BRAIN® Instant, peach
● ½ frozen banana
● ½ cup mango, frozen
● ½ cup pineapple, frozen
● 1 oz. steel-cut or rolled oats
● ½ tbsp. maca powder
● 1 tbsp. emulsified MCT, coconut
● 1 tsp. raw, unfiltered honey
● 12 oz. pure coconut water**
● Pinch of Himalayan salt
● 1 scoop ice
*We suggest an unflavored or vanilla variety.
**To ensure you buy a high-quality coconut water rich in minerals, take a look on the ingredient label. If it reads, “coconut water from concentrate,” it’s no good. Go for a pure, organic coconut water without any additional ingredients. As a general rule of thumb, stay away from any juice or drink labeled “from concentrate.” These are devoid of all the beneficial nutrients found naturally in the fruit, vegetable or tree nut, and we are left with just sugar.
PROTEIN SHAKE RECIPE DIRECTIONS
1. Add all ingredients to a blender. Pulse until smooth. Enjoy!